Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Show must go on

There is an old saying in the entertainment industry, “The show must go on.” The clip below might be seen as the ultimate example of this philosophy. At a November 20, 1973 concert at the Cow Palace in San Francisco The Who’s drummer, the irrepressible Keith Moon passed out after taking a handful of horse tranquilizers (Ya, you read that right I typed “handful of horse tranquilizers.”) The amazing thing is that Pete Townshend and Company decided to continue the show using a drummer from the audience named Scott Halpin.



How many fans ever get to jam with their idols? If I were him I’d tell everyone I ever met. Something along the line of, “Hi I’m Scott, I once sat in for Keith Moon and played with The Who.” According to an interview he did with Rolling Stone, “I didn't have time to think about it and get nervous. I only played three numbers and I was dead", there energy was staggering.” After the show he got to party with the band. Luck Bastard!

No comments: