Sunday, June 18, 2006

I beg to differ

Originally Written: Thursday, April 20, 2006 and Wednesday, June 14, 2006

In the article "Okay, we're Rollin'" from the May 2006 issue of Stereophile magazine it is stated Led Zeppelin recorded "Stairway to Heaven" at Sunset Studios. From all available evidence this is incorrect. A number of sources state that the backing tracks for "Stairway" were recorded at Headley Grange (an English country house) with the Rolling Stones mobile studio, overdubs being done at Island Studios. The possibility also exists that the entirety of the recording was done at Island Studios, but even this seems to contradict the available evidence. Jimmy Page did mix the album at Sunset, at the behest of Andy Johns (the engineer) but after listening to that mix elsewhere rejected nearly all of that work, with the exception of "When The Levee Breaks." The results of the album mix done at Sunset were considered to be murky and lacking in detail. Everything other than "When the Levee Breaks" was remixed.

Add nationally published author to my list of accomplishments. In July's issue of Stereophile magazine (one of highend audio's most respected magazines) they published my letter to the
editor. It concerns an issue on which I consider myself an authority. The issue hasn't hit news stands yet, but subscribers have started to receive them in the mail. I also had a nice personal correspondence with the editor as well. I wonder if any of the regular customers at the store will notice.

One of my as yet unrealized aspirations is to be a professional audio reviewer and writing for Stereophile would be a dream come true. Another periodical for which I would love to write is The Absolute Sound. Also there are a couple of on line publications that would be fun too. Do these publications consider working for a highend dealer and reviewing products a conflict of interest? I'm not sure. I don't think that I have quite enough experience to start reviewing yet any way. Perhaps by the time I'd feel ready it would be a non-issue anyway. I'm still toying around with the idea of starting a blog entirely about audio. My major question is where I'd get the content. I'd like to write one article a week. I think that at that pace I'd run out of topics and things to review fairly quickly.

No comments: